3.27.2010

Chocolate Chip, coconut, peanut butter bars


I left my boys with my friend the other day and when I picked them up she shared one of these bars with me. They were delicious and my boys loved them too!

2 1/2 cups crispy rice cereal
2 cups old fashioned quaker oats
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
2/3 cup honey
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup packed coconut
1/4 mini chocolate morsels
1/4 peanuts

Directions:
In a large bowl combine the rice cereal and oatmeal. Grease or line a 9x13 baking dish. (I prefer to line the pan with saran wrap because it makes for easy clean up).

Mix brown sugar, honey and peanut butter in a small sauce pan. Stir over medium heat until just boiling. Add to cereal mixture along with vanilla, cinnamon, salt, peanuts, coconut and chocolate chips.

Press into prepared pan using a spatula, spoon or your hands. Set aside to cool, then cut into bars.

TIPS:

*To keep chocolate from melting into mixture try freezing them first as well as adding the morsels towards the end of the mixture process.
*Once the bars have cooled I place a cutting board on top of my pan and then flip the pan upside down on to the cutting board. I can then lift the pan off, remove the saran wrap, and cut into bars.
*Bars taste great if frozen. Once thawed they retrain the chewy texture however, I would avoid refrigerating the bars as this seems to dry them out.
*To keep fresh store at room temperature in a sealed container.
*Try swapping out the crispy rice cereal for something you already have one hand. Corn flakes, cherrios etc.

Fun "ADD INS" to experiment with:
Chocolate morsels, M&M's, peanut butter chips, butterscotch chips, dried cranberries, raisins, dates, dried apricots, coconut, peanuts, almonds, walnuts, flax seed, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, toffee pieces....

No comments:

Post a Comment