- In the insert of an electric pressure cooker (or in a stovetop pressure cooker), heat the oil (using the Sauté function on the InstantPot) and add the jalapeños, onion, and garlic, and sauté for 1-2 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the rinsed and drained beans, water, broth, salt and vinegar.
- Secure the lid on the pressure cooker and cook on high pressure for 30 minutes (stovetop) and 35 minutes (electric).
- Let the pressure naturally release. Reserve two cups of the liquid in a separate bowl.
- Drain the rest of the liquid off the beans. Using an immersion blender, potato masher (or spooning the beans into a blender), process/mash to the desired consistency, adding reserved cooking water, if needed for a smoother/softer consistency.
- Refrigerate for up to a week or freeze for several months.
I froze the leftovers in 2 cup increments in quart-sized freezer bags and they thaw and reheat great.